•  
  •  

Volume 1, Issue 3: Spring 1993

From the Editor . . .

When given a full page on which to write freely, one should should always pick up a pen and begin, and I, luckily, have been given this page. Only the reader can decide if what I have written is thoughtful and important.

This is the third issue of a journal which has yet to realize its full potential. Improvements have been made, and they will always be necessary as we strive for (near) perfection.

To realize this goal, everyone must contribute; submissions must be made (from both on and off campus); support must be offered. When this is done, the journal will truly be a group project to be looked upon with distinction and pride. In this capacity, The Promethean very well could be the very unifying identity of which Concordia is in need.

I would like to take this opportunity to address a concern that was raised with the last issue: The Promethean didn't print all submissions received from Concordia students. No, we didn't. In fact, we printed many pieces received from off-campus sources. Our goal is to publish a number of diverse pieces. Such a goal requires input from many sources and support from all readers. I can only offer critics this advice: celebrate the creativity and work behind each piece with an open mind.

If you read a piece you don't like, write something to top it. If you read something you do like, tell the writer. In either case, the journal will become a creative outlet and marketplace.

In this process of creating a forum for writers, I have a very small part. So, with the rest of my free page, I would like to thank the writers; without their desires, dreams, hopes, fears, creativity, concern, love, and highly perceptive way ofliving life with an eager curiousity, this journal would not be missed when printed late.

I would like to thank Scott Ward for his simplicity and perception.

I would like to thank Peter Huggins for a unique twist on the season.

Thank you, Angela, for taking time out of your busy schedule--good luck, by the way--to submit your thoughtful verse.

Hey, Tim! Thanks for not being too bent out of shape when you realize I have used your real name for your piece. If anyone has a problem with his piece, re-read the first half of this column. Can you believe Tim was actually concerned?

Erich, thank you for becoming involved and writing a piece many artists will appreciate.

Randy, thanks for the disk and saving me a lot of time. Your piece is one of my favorites. (Do I have to be objective?)

Dr. Wright, thank you for including a piece that will probably bore some because it is well written and addresses an idea that takes a great deal of literary background and scholarship. Isn't that ironic?

I would like to thank Dr. Kunert for writing a piece in which he is personally involved. It answers questions and reaffirms a genuine sense of what faith can mean to those in need.

With this space left, I would like to ask that people get involved. Pull an old poem out of a drawer, write what you feel, inform those who search for knowledge. Write your part in this collective effort and send it in.

Issue

PDF

The Promethean, Spring 1993
English Department

Essays

Poems

PDF

Spring Fever
Scott Ward

Stories

PDF

The Window
Erich Schneider

PDF

I Kill
Tim O'Connor

Spring 1993

STAFF
Steven Jackson, Editor-in-Chief
Tim O'Connor, Prose
Kathleen Schnider, Poetry
Erick Schneider, Visual Arts
Randy Kohltfarber
Jason Moore
Robert York
Christy Fehyl

Cover: "The Dying Prince" by Guy Capoeman. Courtesy of Quintana Galleries.